The Denville Township Police Department is currently seeking professional, qualified and energetic applicants who possess the department’s core values of Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Compassion and Respect for the position of Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer. The Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer will be responsible for school safety and security duties within the Denville Public Schools.
The Class III Special Police Officer position is a yearly appointment and this position will begin with the 2022-2023 school year. The position may be renewed each subsequent year with the approval of all applicable parties. The salary offered is $31 per hour with an average workweek of 37.5 hours during the school year. The Class III Special Law Enforcement Officer only works when school is in session, except for any in-service training that may be required. Preference may be given to applicants who previously served in the capacity of a school resource officer or who are D.A.R.E. or L.E.A.D. certified instructors. No health, dental or prescription benefits are offered with this position. However, the employee will be eligible to receive paid time off.
- Applicant must be a retired officer who previously served as a duly qualified, full time law enforcement officer in any municipality, county, or agency of this state, a bi-state agency, or a federal agency, and must be living in New Jersey (separation from service may not be more than three years at the time of appointment).
- Applicant must be retired from his/her previous agency in good standing. If selected, the applicant will be required to have a letter of good standing issued by the agency from which the officer retired, identifying the date and type of retirement. A copy of this letter will be submitted to the PTC.
- Applicant must be less than 65 years of age.
- Applicant must be physically capable of performing the functions of the position, as determined in accordance with the Police Training Commission.
- Applicant must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
- Applicant must successfully pass a background investigation, to include a drug test.
Interested candidates must submit a resume and a completed Application for Employment, which can be found on the department’s website (employment application) or on the Police App website (www.policeapp.com). Applications and resumes may be hand delivered or mailed to:
Denville Township Police Department
Attn: Police Chief Frank Perna
1 Saint Mary’s Place
Denville, NJ 07834.
The application deadline is July 8, 2022 at 1600 hours. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.
The Township of Denville is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will be given full consideration.
For any questions concerning this position, please contact Captain Jeffrey tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-627-4900 x 334.